Refugee and Migrant Crises from Ukrainian and Hong Kong
How can you help?
Churches and community groups in this country are mobilising to form teams that can offer wraparound care to refugees, migrants, and host families. Fullbridge Church has registered its interest with Krish Kandiah at “Sanctuary Foundation” www.sanctuaryfoundation.org.uk – a charity who give support to potential sponsors by offering resources and training and assists central government with its refugee schemes. Fullbridge is currently working with Maldon District Council and the Community Voluntary Service to create a community hub in the town. So, our first job is to assess what skills we have amongst us at Fullbridge and in the wider community.
What do you have to offer?
One little lad brought his lunch to Jesus – it didn’t look much (just 2 fish and 5 loaves) but the result was incredible. Together, our offering could be amazing! If we don’t stand-up now, then when?
- Host a refugee family? (Mostly mothers and their children)
- Give support to a host family? Such as, meals, befriending, trips out etc.
- Help with sorting government benefits?
- Arrange a school place?
- Organise a GP or Health Visitor?
- Help with English language and conversation?
- Introduce refugees and migrants to a mother and toddler group?
- Provide a meeting point for Ukrainian refugees and migrants from Hong Kong?
- Commit to praying for a refugee or migrant family?
- Give social and emotional support? Such as, counselling, encouraging, caring etc.
- Liaise with groups such as ‘Baby Bank’ to procure equipment.
- Organise a local store of donated items
- Liaise with local community and voluntary services
- Interact with other Churches
- Build links with the Local Authority?
‘Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.’ (Ephesians 6:12) Please put on your armour!
Please respond with how you can help to Ralph and Gilly.