I am currently living in central Berlin where I have been since mid-September and have one week left here until I go to Paris for the second half of my year abroad (for those who don’t know, I am in my third year of studying French and German at the university of York; a year which is spent abroad).
In Germany, I have been teaching English in a secondary school in Potsdam (just outside of Berlin) which I have enjoyed, although teaching English doesn’t give me a lot of chance to speak German at work apart from some chit-chat with the teachers in the staff room! The bulk of my German-speaking has been at the church that I have been attending since October (Evangelisch-Presbyterianishe Kirche Berlin). I went to their second ever service which was an evening devotion on a Sunday afternoon. They now have 2 Sunday services and a weekly mid-week prayer meeting, all of which I love attending. It has truly been a joy and privilege to be part of the growth of a church outside of England, praising the same God in a different language!
On 28th February I will be flying to Paris, where I will be working as an intern in a small evangelical church of about 30 people (Eglise Protestante Evangélique de Paris Villiers) in central Paris until mid-July. My work there will mainly involve working with the youth in the church, working with the Christian Union in Paris and working in the church’s fair trade shop which is open 4 days a week and gets many non-Christian customers.
Points for prayer:
1. The church I attend here. For growth in Evangelisch-Presbyterianische Kirche Berlin (there are currently about 15 of us who attend).
2. The wider church in Germany. The church in Germany (and Berlin) is in a much weaker state than how I thought it would be!
1. My search for accommodation. I am yet to find a place to stay for my time in Paris. Please pray that I would find an affordable apartment.
2. That my work there would be fruitful and beneficial to the church and that I would grow in my faith and in my dependence upon the Lord.
3. That my French would improve! I seem to have forgotten so much since I have been in Germany!
Thank you so much for your prayers – they are greatly appreciated.
“To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— to the only God our Saviour be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.”